Elizabeth Arden Red Door Aura

3.7

on 10/19/2014 3:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I can't believe how beautiful this perfume is! WoW! In the beginning it smells a lot like Thierry Mugler's "Alien" jasmine, with raspberry to make it more youthful. The drydown hour later will remind you of the original Red Door but now it's more beautiful.

on 12/17/2012 8:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Red Door Aura is a reformulation of the classic Red Door. This is done a la Tresor with Tresor in Love. If you loved Red Door, this may appeal to you; if you found Red Door to be too heavy and `80`s, this may also appeal to you as a lighter, softer version.
The price is standard EA pricing, not too dear compared to Lancome or higher. This is packed in the same tall slender `red door` as the original but this time around the door is sheer, to reflect the sheerness of the scent. The bottle is lovely, but points removed for it being pretty tippy. That sort of thing annoys me.
The scent: I always enjoyed the original Red Door. It reminded me of my childhood in the 80`s when all the neighbourhood ladies wore it. It had presence.
Aura is lovely, but definitely lacks the presence of Red Door, perhaps on purpose in our new, scent shy times. It is generic, unoffensive and neutral. It smells `pretty`.
Aura opens with fruit - raspberry, orange. It feels bright, young and lovely. It dries down to a neutral floral - I feel roses, jasmine. The floral is quite creamy, if that makes sense. It ends woody and soft. So a very typical progression - that doesn`t make it bad, just normal.
This lasts about 4 hours on me, I would respritz if I was going out in the evening or perhaps switch to the original Red Door as an evening fragrance.
I have been wearing this for 4 days, asking for opinions. The most common one is nice. I understand nice. Shortly after getting married, I switched my perfume to Ralph Lauren Romance. I was becoming a wife and mother, I wanted something soft, feminine and above all nice. Aura falls into the same category. This isn`t going to offend anyone. If I had to pick a perfume for a stranger, I might reach for this.
For someone just starting to move up the fragrance chain, or for someone wanting to play their cards close to their chest, this is a lovely choice. Fresh, light, creamy and nice.
For me, I need more. More complexity, more of a story. I guess I am starting to try to stand out from the neighbourhood ladies.

on 12/15/2012 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love, love, love! Red Door Aura opens up with fruits and citrus, then the fruitiness lingers as the bright and gentle florals develop. Certainly not in-your-face as the original can be. If I were to be remembered by one scent, I would like it to be this one. So, so feminine and sparkling.
Edit: Too much powderiness in the drydown... :(