Tom Ford Illuminating Protective Primer SPF12

3.5

on 2/8/2015 5:38:00 PM

This is definitely one of the better primers that I have tried. But at this price point it better be better than just good! This primer provides a lot of luminosity (if you have oily skin stay clear) so I can understand why other reviewers have provided negative reviews. What I like most about this primer is it allows foundation to apply very evenly and it does provide foundation with a little longevity. All in all, it does what I want - luminosity and provides a good canvas for foundation but I have taken one lippy off for the price. Will repurchase and recommend only if you have normal to dry skin.

on 2/3/2015 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I received large generous sample(s) of this primer so I had some time to play around with this. Im not a primer person, I think they are mostly useless especially for dry skin(like me) but this was actually useful.

It smooths and evens out for a nice canvas to work out WITHOUT pilling into balls and pieces like most primers do! It really is illuminating! I was afraid it would be silvery on my tan skin but it just creates a glow, not shimmery, not glittery, a real glow without distorting my skin color. I was tempted to skip foundation because this primer alone already makes my skin look flawless. It's moisturizing and doesn't dry me out. I cannot say anything about it extending the wear time because it's not an important quality for me unless I was doing something extreme. I can only say it does not do anything bad to my makeup. Mixing with foundation can also be done.

My samples are almost finished. Im quite tempted to buy the full size, the only thing stopping me is well...the price. You DO get a generous amount with Tom Ford products which is nice, at least that! Honestly, I will most likely end up buying it. If price is of no matter to you, then this is an amazing primer.

on 1/17/2015 3:08:00 PM

Superlative. Creates perfected canvas, both smoothing and illuminating, optimally preparing skin to enhance delivery of foundation. Unrivalled!

on 12/23/2013 3:59:00 PM

Bought this on an impulse while purchasing some other Tom Ford products. I should have known better than to buy something illuminating when my skins tends to be oily. Seems like a lovely product for those with more normal to dry skin. Packaging is gorgeous and very sanitary. Gave it to a friend who was thrilled.

on 10/31/2013 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The Primer smells ok and definitively not like stinky socks. I do not like perfumed make up like Chanel. Great primer.

Edit after several month:
I do not need this and it dries my skin out.

on 8/22/2013 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Really nothing special about this product, I look for a silicony primer, much like the Smashbox kind; and this is not. It leaves the skin with a bit of glow, not the kind that mimics healthy skin, but an artificial product kind of glow. With the money TF charges, I expected it to be better, turned out all 3 product I bought (fdn, cleanser, primer) are all disappointments.

on 6/19/2013 10:56:00 PM

Very moisturizing and nicely iridescent, but stinks like a old track shoe. The pump is also undependable and seems likely to break. My skin is oily so this product may be a little too moist for me. Looks pretty though, if you can stand the funk.

on 5/3/2013 5:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This an okay primer, and the only one I have that is iridescent. However, I cannot wear it due to the smell.
Won't repurchase.

on 5/3/2013 4:09:00 PM

I was so excited to try this, so I bought one at Neiman Marcus upon passionate recommendation by the sales assistant.

The first thing I noticed was its foul-ish smell, like decayed rubber. I still used it on my face and... saw no change. Even after I applied makeup, I couldn't notice any impovement in my skin complextion. The only effect I was able to see was its iridescence (I was only able to see this on my palm where I smudged it).

Around the time I used half of the contents, the pump broke and it did not dispense any more, so I brought it back to TF counter after which I got a new one. I have no intention of using it, so I think I'll eBay it sometimes.

I had high expectation over this, so it was a bummer.

on 4/3/2013 8:17:00 AM

I have to agree with the previous reviews, this is really a superb primer.
It provides an excellent base und gives the skin a radiant appearance. Sometimes if I’m going for the no-make-look I even use this on it’s own.
The only issue I have with this product is its scent, or smell if you will.
It is scented not too strongly, but the smell always reminds me of unwashed gym clothes (read= old sweat).
I really wish this product would have a nice scent, or even better no one at all. But it doesn’t make dislike the product overall, so I’m gonna stick with it and repurchase my second bottle.