Illamasqua Skin Base foundation

3.6

INGREDIENTS: AQUA (WATER), CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, GLYCERIN, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM (MINERAL OIL), PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, TALC, PEG-10 DIMETHICONE, MICA, DIMETHICONE, SILICA, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CYCLOMETHICONE, PHENOXYETHANOL, ISOSTEARIC ACID, STEARIC ACID, PEG/PPG-18/18 DIMETHICONE, METHYLPARABEN, DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER, NIACINAMIDE, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DIMETHICONE/METHICONE COPOLYMER, SODIUM HYALURONATE,PARFUM (FRAGRANCE) [+/- MAY CONTAIN: CI 77491 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77492 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77499 (IRON OXIDES), CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), CI 77002 (ALUMINUM HYDROXIDE)].

on 4/10/2015 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Illamasqua Skin Base is yet another hyped product that I still can't wrap my mind around why it's touted as being a-mazing. At this point, I'm beginning to believe companies pay beauty bloggers/vloggers to hype a certain product so schmucks like me will overlook the insane price tag and believe they need it in their life.

I was going to buy this through the company's official site, but I kept hesitating because of the price tag ($51 and some change). I found this on eBay for about ten dollars less which isn't a huge savings but I bought it anyway. Matching the color was a snap because Illamasqua has a nifty chart that can match your existing foundation (provided it's on the list) to a shade of Skin Base. I bought shade #9 (olive yellow undertone) and it matches perfectly. The foundation is a thickish cream that comes in a scarily small, plastic squeeze bottle. Like another reviewer pointed out, this will likely be a pain when you get to the last bit. The first time I used this, I was wholly unimpressed. I applied what I felt like was a normal amount but it basically looked like I was wearing nothing. Without foundation, I tend to look wane and ill and that's exactly what I looked like when I wore this. The other bummer was that when I first wore this, I woke up the next day with a monster zit on my cheek. It could have been hormonal as I haven't had one since, but now I'm very, very mindful to make sure I remove every trace of this before bed (which I should be doing anyway but hey, I'm old and get sleepy while watching Netflix some nights!). The coverage is next to nil unless you use a more than average amount which is not something I like doing. Skin Base didn't feel exceptionally heavy but I imagine if I used this daily, I would run out quickly.

My second experience wasn't much better although I did use a more than what I usually would with another foundation. Even though I used more, this wasn't particularly heavy and I can't recall if it has a scent, but it just doesn't do much. It's just there. For $51, or even $40, I feel like a product should at least make me look like I put forth an effort but this makes me looks like I was too rushed to put on foundation and just decided to do my eyes, cheeks and lips. I know this is suppose to be ones of those your-skin-but-better kind of products, but it lacks on the "better" part.

I can't say I would recommend this to anyone. I don't think it's horrible and it might be one of those great products for folks who have great skin (also known as people I loath), but I would steer clear of this if you need more than light to slightly medium coverage. Its performance simply does not warrant the high price tag and I'm still baffled by the glowing reviews.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have a lot of skin problems. Including a dry forehead, very oily nose, acne scars and just regular acne.
I spend A LOT of money on foundation and concealer. But this foundation is one I would never buy again. The only good thing this foundation did was actually cover tiny zits.
This is the worst foundation I've ever bought for simple reasons:
- It was far too expensive for the amount of it you actually get
- If you touched it, it came off on hands, clothes, hair, anything. Therefore reapplication was constant. This was the most annoying part.
- It didn't cover dark circles
- It didn't last long at all. I wore it in to school, which lasts 6 hours, and it would have all been off by the time I got home.
- This foundation was NOT suitable for my oily patches at all. In fact, when my nose got oily it actually, for some reason, swirled around the foundation on my nose - causing me to have patches.

I would not advise anyone to buy this foundation, for me it is really not worth it.

on 2/28/2015 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medium full coverage foundation and can look a little heavy if not carefully applied. The packaging is an odd shape - it's going to be hard to get the product out when it gets near the bottom. My main issue with this is that although there is a wide range of shades for mid toned skin there is really only one very pale shade and this is very very pink. If you are very pale and yellow toned then you are out of luck. I understand illamasqua recommend buying a darker shade in the correct yellow tones then mixing with the White base to lighten it but this means buying 2 shades which makes it rediculously expensive. If it's in your shade then it's a good foundation.

on 2/9/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Pro's-
great shade selection.
Medium to high coverage.
Nice packaging.

Com's-
Not good for humidity and hot climate.
Doesn't last for very long.
Price point.

on 1/8/2015 12:04:00 PM

I'll say upfront if you're looking for medium-full coverage or something very build-able, keep looking because this foundation is very light.

At $50 a bottle I would have moved on because, damn, that's expensive. However the MUA at Sephora was having a difficult time finding a foundation that matched my skin (I have yellow and pink tones which is not common) until she put this on (Shade 3.5). I was surprised how easily this blended in and how my face felt like there was no make up on it! My boyfriend persuaded me to splurge and get the bottle.

The bottle is the perfect size for portability and it's a squeeze bottle so application is fast and easy. I am lucky and have great skin so I just need something to cover the minute flaws and occasional zit or freckle. I dislike the look and feeling of layered/heavy make up so I really appreciate how this feels like there's nothing on your skin. As for staying power, I notice a tiny layer of residue on my cell phone at the end of the day but other wise it stays put and doesn't change color.

Conclusion: If you have normal to great skin and you can spare $50 with out much problem, this is a yes. My skin type is on the dry side of normal.

on 12/21/2014 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Loved this at first when I had it colour matched at the illamasqua counter, it was one of the hottest days of the year. It took about 3/4 hours to look oily, which is incredible because I am SUPER oily and I have to touch up within half an hour with powder or a blotting sheet. I thought this would help me with my oiliness, but now it doesn't, and I still get really oily:( nice foundation for wearing if you know you will be photographs though, as long as I powder first!

on 11/10/2014 8:23:00 PM

Love this foundation! You can always tell in pictures when I have it on. You must apply it sparingly or build for fuller coverage, otherwise it sits on your skin looking like thick foundation. The bottle is great as the way it stands means no furious shaking to get the product out. Set with Illamasqua translucent loose powder or Dermablend setting powder. The only negative is the price compared to high st brands but it is worth it (particularly if you're very pale and struggle to find the right shade), but Illamasqua have a discount loyalty scheme and a few promotions a year. I have the compact foundation too but it doesn't apply smoothly after a few months. Much prefer skin base liquid! I use SB3.5 and am a MAC NC15.

on 11/2/2014 10:53:00 AM

i do like this foundation, its nice for good coverage so i use when i go out. it is slightly on the pricy side and its a bit of a nightmare to get out of the tube. Probably won't buy again.

on 10/23/2014 12:06:00 AM

When I initially started using this product, it had great coverage and didn't make me super oily. I had put it aside to use another foundation and came back to it and for some reason, it didn't suit my skin anymore. If you're looking for that dewy skin look, this will do it for you, but if you have oily skin, stay away! This made my skin even oilier looking and I found that the foundation slid as the day progressed - even after setting it. I would say that this is light coverage. I wouldn't recommend trying to layer this, as it would just make it oily. I loved the packaging. The shape is really unique and easy to dispense. Unfortunately, this product was just not for me.

on 10/16/2014 4:02:00 AM

I happened late on a sale for Illamasqua with most everything sold except their foundation. Lots and lots of foundation in only two shades, 03 and their darkest color. Took a chance and got the 03 which turned out to be a perfect match. Not only that, it is such a gorgeous foundation that looks better than every favourite foundation I have ever owned. Using a damp beauty blender and really pressing it into the skin makes it last the entire day. The best thing is it seems to look better as the day goes on. I ended up going back and buying three more bottles but if I could have I'd have bought a dozen.

Video Reviews & Tutorials