MAC Studio Fix Lash

4.1

on 1/1/2013 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've used this mascara since it came out and I've bought it twice now. I have to say, it's not the formula that makes this my favorite mascara but the wand. It's not the first time I've used a completely plastic mascara wand (instead of the regular ones that look like tube cleaners lol) but this is the BEST one I've used. It's thin (not fat like some of the drug store plastic mascara wands - Maybelline comes to mind) that are impossible to maneuver around your eyes.
I already have long lashes - let me just say that first - but this mascara makes them EXTRA long - to the point where they touch my brow bone/nearly my eyebrows when I look up. They look like falsies with just two coats and the formula doesn't clump. It doesn't smudge either unless I accidentally smudge it while applying. It very easily grabs every lash - even the ones in the corners - and allows me to twist them around and around the wand with ease.
A lot of mascara I've tried don't let me really get in there with the wand, they just sort of sit beneath my lashes to deposit mascara but this one lets me get in there to the point where I can spend as long as I want to build up my lashes.
When you open the tube and pull out the wand the perfect amount of mascara is on there - no extra at all!!

Now the cons - I have used this formula with a different mascara wand and it's nothing special. Just a very black, light mascara formula. I took one lippie off because this is a pricey mascara and I'm not some crazy MAC fangirl where I buy everything that MAC comes out with and doesn't think twice about it. The second time I went to buy this I grumbled to myself a bit lol but it truly is worth it the price for what it does to my lashes. (FYI MAC is more expensive here than in the States.)
Another con is that the plastic wand is rigid so if you're not careful or in a rush you MAY poke yourself in the eye. I've done it a few times and I've been wearing mascara for years. It took me a bit of practice to get the hang of this - as well as some accidental scraping at the base of my lashes - OW that really stings! - but now I'm a pro at it.
MAC gave these wands away to use with the testers when this mascara came out and I grabbed a bunch of them and now I just use them with any mascara (even cake mascara) and just wash, sanitize and reuse.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

This is my all time favourite mascara, it is great for both length and volume, it's even better than my BeneFit they're real mascara! Brilliant, would buy again and again, lasts ages, also.

on 9/10/2012 11:14:00 AM

I've been using this mascara for a while now and I don't know why I haven't searched for a better mascara! It isn't by any means bad, and if your looking to move from drug store mascara to something a little more high end, this is an excellent stepping stone. The price in't much different from drug store mascaras (about 16$).

I do find that this clumps my lashes together quite a bit though, which is something I always try to avoid! I do put quite a few layers on though. It is also a pretty watery formula- if you blink while putting it on or too soon after application you have to clean your face of all the mascara marks! I do find it lengths a little bit but I already have long lashes so that doesn't help me.

The dark colour however is very nice.

Pros: the colour is rich and dark
lengths lashes
lasts most of the day
good price

Cons: watery, smudges easily within the first couple minutes after application
clumps in an effort to be voluminous
creates very hard, crunchy lashes
stings VERY bad if it gets in your eyes

I am an admitted MAC addict but I don't LOVE this mascara (even though I've bought it three times now, I just sort of settled.)

on 8/6/2012 9:06:00 PM

This mascara is great for a more natural look, it separates lashes nicely and doesn't clump at all. Like little spidey legs. ;) I wouldn't use this for going out at night or for a more dramatic look but for every day it's great. Doesn't sting my eyes or anything when I remove either.

on 7/30/2012 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Amazing! I have never been a fan of MAC mascara but this stuff really works! It lengthens, thickens and even seems to curl my lashes a bit. It completely opened up my eyes! I'm in love!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using drugstore mascaras pretty much forever and after going to the Mac counter and getting my full makeup done I was recommended to use this mascara. It makes my eyelashes look natural yet makes them appear fuller and thicker. I've only had this mascara for a couple of days, but so far so good!

on 6/3/2012 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Feel bad for giving it a low-ish rating, but it isn't working for me..
Started off great, lengthened, separated, lasted etc, but about a week into using it it starting to clump, and my lashes would be stuck together, it still lengthened though, it's just my lashes looked horrible in clumps.
I curl my lashes before mascara, but this mascara brings my curled lashes right back down; curling them post-mascara isn't really an option as this mascara dries quite a lot and becomes crunchy and curling lashes when they're cunchy means lashes death.
This is rather unfortunate, I guess I just have to keep looking for one that will suit my lashes' needs..

on 5/9/2012 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I AM VERY PLEASED!!!

I began wearing mascara just four years ago, well into my thirties, and not every day. I purchased some MAC mascara and didn't think anything of it. Then I thought I'd found the holy grail when I found Maybelline Colossal until.....I noticed flakes around my eyes and clumps. I then understood why ladies are so particular.

I purchased MAC Studio Fix in Studio Brown from my CCO and I have not experienced one flake!! The color is great for me because my lashes are already dark and thick. But this brush and formula are interesting because it is wetter than anything I've tried, but it separates so well. I brush my lashes inward and I notice lashes I haven't seen before. They look gorgeous and long.

I have only had it for a month and no dry out yet.

EDIT: It is flaking. I will not repurchase.

I LOVED this mascara. It lasted me so long without becoming dry/flaky/clumpy. It defined and lengthened well, held curl, and the brush is perfect.
Unfortunately, I went back to repurchase and they've discontinued it in black/brown!!! Nooooo!!!!! I thought my search for the perfect mascara was over :(

on 3/12/2012 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Get This It's Wonderful
Doesn't clump
Doesn't wear off until you take it off.

Popular Mascaras